Thanksgiving is this week and for some it’s a stressful time and for others it’s a chance to see family and friends one normally doesn’t see. For me, it’s just the day we get to eat tons of turkey, stuffing and everything else that I have to cook. My mom stopped cooking for Thanksgiving about eight years ago, because her and my dad don’t eat much and they began to come over to my house for that day. Since then it’s been my responsibility to do Thanksgiving.
I will be cooking, baking and making all the perpetration needed for Thursday, and I’m trying to have a positive outlook on all of this. So I decided to list things I’m thankful for so here I go.
- I’m thankful for my boys, they are why I’m still alive and sane (partly) and the reason I’m not in jail waiting to be prosecuted for co-workercide. On my cell phone I have them labeled as Ice, Grizz and Panda Bears from the show We Bare Bears. They all have similar personalities that correspond with those characters.
- I’m thankful for my job, because this is absolutely THE BEST job I’ve ever had! In spite of having to work with Female Sheldon and now Baby Kermit. The mentoring I’ve received from my supervisor and director have surpassed any other job I’ve had in a university setting.
- I’m thankful for all my blogger friends! When I began my blog in October of 2018, I thought it was only to follow direction/suggestion from my therapist to put what I’d written out there, into the blogosphere as well therapy. But since I’ve found a very supportive group who doesn’t judge and supports without making me feel that I did something wrong, stupid or morally questionable. So thanks to all of you, for such wonderful feedback and of course your comedic relief.
- I’m thankful for my “real life friends” which are only four, but when you have great friends you don’t need a whole posse of people to know they have your back. So thank you to Deb, Veronica, Virginia and Ninfa y’all are the best! No, Veronica isn’t in my head she’s one of my BFF’s IRL and not only when I look in the mirror. It just so happened that we met when we both worked in what was the worst department at UTEP and we both survived that idiot director and tyrannical managers. I’ll have to write about that time it’s both horrifying and hilarious. Imagine a director who was 58 years old and still thought she was in her 30’s wearing leather pants and animal print tops to work. A manager whose hair wouldn’t grow, suspiciously never move and we all thought it could be a wig, but were never able to figure it out. And she dressed like a man, all the time. Another manager who thought she was so educated and sophisticated than the rest of us, she would look down her nose at the rest of the staff. Until the Huntress brought her down to earth that is.
- I’m thankful for my snarky Cat Charlie “Bruiser” O’Houlihan, as much as he’s a pain in the ass (well he’s a cat, right) he still seems to know when I’ve had a bad day. He comes and sits by me and just purrs away. I really didn’t notice this until my son told me he was sensing my emotions and Charlie was trying to comfort me. Of course when I begin to feel better he looks up at me, rolls his eyes and goes to sleep on his giant pillow.
Two Racing Mustangs and NO COPS
Yesterday as I was driving home from work I was on I-10 nearing the exit to go home and I noticed two Ford Mustang GT’s, one black and one silver. They were standard transmission as I could hear them when they passed my on the freeway as….THEY WERE RACING DOWN THE DAMNED FREEWAY IN AFTERNOON TRAFFIC!!!! All I could think was MOTHERFUCKERS, what if they caused an accident? What if they both crashed into each other? As the silver one passed me the windows were open and an idiot kid had his cell phone out and was recording the race. I literally yelled out “Where are the fucking cops when you need them?!?!?”
Work Thanksgiving Luncheon
Our institution had this luncheon for all the employees last Friday, it’s a yearly thing and all the administration is asked to volunteer to serve their staff. The department administrator for my previous department passed by me twice, she was serving lemonade and iced tea. Then she looked straight at me, and said “Oh my god, you’ve lost so much weight! I almost didn’t recognize you! I can see it in your face, you look so good! What did you do?” Because this was the equivalent to having your mother clean your face in public with her own spit, I calmly sat there eating my turkey and replied. “I changed departments, that’s what happened” and of course JP was sitting right next to me and he’s like the little brother I never had and he laughed. Then asked “Well how overweight were you?” and I said 202 lbs. He said he was going to hang onto that little jewel of embarrassment and I said “Don’t make me angry, you wouldn’t like me when I’m angry.” But JP is a good egg, he’s one of a handful of people I work with that keeps me sane.
I Have Fat Calves
I can’t find boots to fit me to save my life. I don’t have calves I have fucking cows at the bottom of my legs and it’s frustrating. As much as I love to wear boots in winter, I have a hard time because I can’t find any I like that actually fit me. I have small ankles and fat calves, do you know how frustrating that shit is? So, I’ve decided to start the “Fat Calve Club” and we’ll figure out how we can overcome this affliction together.
I Like Kale
And I eat it a lot. It came about because of the keto diet my doctor put me on back in March of 2018. To me it takes on the flavor of whatever you cook with it, so it doesn’t have an adverse taste as some might think. Especially in Soupa Tuscana, I make my own version of the one from Olive Garden at home and it’s delish. What I won’t eat is cilantro, because that’s just nasty shit.
I Listen to Opera
I do especially when I’m really stressed out, my favorite operas are Lakme and La Boheme. And if any of my coworkers hear opera coming from my office they tend to back away slowly because that’s an indicator that someone has pissed me off.
Pumpkin Pie Is Redundant
Every year for Thanksgiving my mom made like five pumpkin pies, and I don’t even like pumpkin pie. Even during our employee luncheon I gave it away to Leslie one of my coworkers in trade for her cranberry sauce. Yes, we acted like elementary school kids trading food we didn’t like with each other. So last year I found a recipe for pumpkin cheesecake, and it was absolutely delish!!! Because it has a caramel sauce drizzled over it, and well, its cheesecake!
So there you have it, everything I’m thankful for and random thoughts from the Huntress. I want to take this opportunity to wish everyone a very Happy Thanksgiving!! Eat, drink and be merry or eat, drink and pass out of tryptophan and carb laced food!
Until next time remember, chin up, soldier on and watch your back!
The Huntress 915